Trailer owners - did you change gears in your tow vehicle? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Trailer owners - did you change gears in your tow vehicle?

Zoe

One more question for me. As I mentioned in another thread, we have been shopping around for a new trailer to tow. Those of you that have a trailer, did you change your gears in your tow vehicle to make towing easier?

My trailer loaded is about 2k pounds.
I haven't changed the gears on my Cruiser yet but have a set in the garage waiting on lockers. My cruiser stock tire size was a 30" tire. When I'm off road, my Cruiser tires are 32" tall @20 psi. Stock gearing is 4.10.

So far it's not too bad. Last year I went on a trip up the mountain. The dirt road up hill parts I had to drop it in low range. Even in low range, there was a part of the road I didn't think I was going to make. , I needed more torque. Even some of the paved mountain roads, Im in second mostly and sometimes first.

I'm going from 4.10 to 4.88. The difference in rpm wont be much but with my fully inflated 33's on the freeway, the rpm will actually sit better in my power band. I shouldn't lose any mileage from it.

My Tacoma has 32's. Its only been on one off road trip with the trailer. If that was my dedicated off road toy, I would lower the gears and tune it. I needed a little more torque.

Zoe it depends on the trailers weight, and what your tow vehicle towing capacity is. There are many trailers that are very light weight and tow vehicles that are larger and can tow a zillion pounds. You may not even need to worry about gears if trailer is lightweight, and depending on your tow truck/car.

Hit post before I finished.
I was going to add what Chris said. So +1 on drive it first.