Quick trip to the desert this weekend. | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Quick trip to the desert this weekend.

smritte

Some of my friends headed out to Anza Borrego this weekend. Some left Friday morning with the rest catching up on Saturday morning. I ended up heading out Friday afternoon. A problem I didn't realize was the tow possible camp spots I was to meet them, were on opposite ends of the park. I drove to the first, yelled on the radio then drove to what I thought was near the second camp area. Peering at the map, I realized there was no way they would be where I was and they were most likely a couple of hours from me. It was getting late so I found a spot and set up, hoping to meet up the next day.
As it turns out, they got cell coverage and called me. I sent my coordinates via text and they drove to me. I was right, they were two hours away. It turned out that only one vehicle was camping, the other just came for a day run and headed home. The remaining vehicle met me at my site and the next day we headed out to meet some others.

The Goal was to head over to the Bradshaw Trail which was an Overland stage route, then cut up to Red Canyon Jeep trail. From Red canyon, head across to Joshua Tree, camp and on Sunday head up into Big Bear and see if there was still snow.

I stayed with the group through Red Canyon and headed home while they made camp for the night. Weather was beautiful. 70 day and 50's night with no wind.

I didn't get but a couple of pictures. I'm hoping the others got some to share with me.

My camp before anyone showed up

Ocitillo camp nov 22.jpg

Us at Bradshaw Trail narrow gauge rail bridge.

Bradshaw trail bridge.jpg

Sigh, I wonder if I can fix this at work. Never found what cut it. I was on a smooth dirt road.
Tire.jpg

These are really great photos! Love the last one with the sun going down. Reminds me of Star Wars movie for some reason. How deep does that mining tunnel go?

I had to leave before they went there. I was told it went a couple hundred yards. I was surprised it was open, most of the tunnels have been gated.

That hole in your sidewall is something else. That had to been a serious rock or stump. What jack system are you using on that rig of yours?

I was out there back in 2017, nice area, but no cell service. Which actually was a nice thing. But there are some random rocks all over if you are in the washout areas. Such a beautiful area though. How far is that from where you live?

Holy sidewall hole Batman! Yeah it looks like you might have a tough time putting a patch over that one. :LOL: 100%, cool photos!

It depends on what ones definition of rough is.
I built the suspension to be able to handle what I consider moderate trails. I can hold 40 plus on most dirt roads and traverse what I consider "moderate" rocks.

This is the only picture I have of rocks. I would consider this very mild.

Mengo 2.jpg

How tall is that trailer of yours? Did you buy that or build it? I ask because I'm thinking about building one and was curious on what frame you had under it?

I built it. I think the roof is 6.5 foot. It clears my garage door by about 6 inch. It sits about the same height as my Cruiser.