Propane tanks on your rig? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Propane tanks on your rig?

For me it depends on what I'm bringing. Bobtail, no fire pit, by myself, 3 one pounders are always in the cruiser. That's all I need for a week.
My trailer has a 10 pound on front and if the propane fire pit goes, I throw a 30 pounder in the back. I also refill my 1 pounders.

First you need something like This adapter
Put empty tanks in freezer. I use my 12 fridge and turn it down to as low as it goes. I think its -10 or something.
Hook up to my 30 pound bottle with valve closed.
as you open the valve the propane will hit the cold bottle and turn to liquid. One shot gets me about half then back in freezer.
Second time gets me most of the way full.
Make sure you can shake it and feel a bit of slosh. I made the mistake of filling one to the top. The propane seeped out until it was about 90% full.
I have five bottles I switch around. When I'm at camp, if someone disposes of one, I pick it up and switch it with an older one. I've been doing this for several years.

So cool, I've wondered how this could be done. When I use my Buddy Heater, the 1lb bottles are so damn expensive compared to cost average of 1lb of propane from filling up a 20lb tank! Seriously appreciate the help!!