E-Bike's | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

E-Bike's

smritte

I'm predicting the next trend. Actually, its already started so, lets see if it turns into the next big fad.
Over the last few years, I watched e-bikes evolve. I was waiting on a few things before I bought one and I'm glad I did. I was waiting for them to get lighter, less expensive, break into modern battery and motor technology. For some reason everything I saw was at least two generations old and starting prices were in the 5k range for a heavy bike with poor suspension. The nicer bikes were a bit lighter. These started at 10k but again, poor motor/battery technology.

This year the e-bike manufactures have been really advertising the heck out of their bikes. I have two bikes, one is more street/gravel road, fat tire and the other is a full mountain bike. I ride almost everyday before work. The number of e-bikes I see on the bike path and trails has increased quite a bit this summer.

Why do I say this is becoming a fad? First is the increase in numbers I see but more than that is the number of e-bike idiots. Monday (I know. Holiday) I had 3 near collisions in 20 min's. It also seems the E-Motor cycles have dropped in price. I'm now seeing those on the bike/walking path's.

If your in the market for an e-bike, take your time looking at them. There's quite a few places that rent them also. Rent one first and make sure you ride it in the conditions you will normally ride it.

I couldn't agree more with you. The problem is, around here we have a lot of teens zipping around town with those Super 73 bikes. And many of these are very fast. Some of the kids aren't wearing helmets, some are going fast on sidewalks. While these numbers are increasing, I bet we will see some strick laws coming out on these as well. Regulating how they are ridden, and who is able to ride these things.

Super 73. Now I know what that design is called. I've seen them at one of the bike shops.
So far all of the electric motorcycles (no pedals) I've seen have been ridden by teenagers. One kid had to be moving close to 40mph on the bike path I was riding. I was doing about 15 and he passed me like I wasn't moving.

So true, very dangerous and they don't have the experience. Thats why we are seeing more and more signs stating no ebikes. The speed is just to fast with the young kids not paying attention. That said, we were just talking about getting some ebikes for the back trails.

I got mine for camp exploring. My original intention was something basic with fat tires and not real expensive. I wanted to be able to set camp and venture out from there. I also wanted a second battery.
Aventon put their latest generation fat tire (Aventure 2) on sale for $1499 with a spare battery @ $299. The bike is heavier than I wanted but the power and price point made me get one.

Keeping it in low power mode (I want the exercise), on the bike trail, I get a bit over 50 miles on a charge. Dirt wise (low power mode) is about 40 miles. Dirt using high power occasionally with using some throttle, I've only gone out about 10 miles but had over half charge.
So far I haven't needed to bring my send battery but its nice to know I can switch it in camp and charge the low one while I'm out.

My second bike is a full suspension mountain bike. I swear, I didn't intend to buy it, it followed me home. Not my fault. This one was on sale for $5100 and much better for trails.
Levo Turbo Alloy.
I cannot easily change the battery and a spare is (Gasp) $1300. On harder trails I get about 30 miles. I haven't used it for exploring yet.

Over a couple of years, I compared e-bikes. I wanted a Class2/3 (has throttle). I also wanted at least a 600 watt motor and a large battery. What I didn't want to do is spend 6k on something I had no real experience with. The Aventure 2 is 750 watt. and uses a common motor. It also includes a nice headlight, stop lights, fenders and a rear rack.

So far about 25 miles. But its only been out three times and on very challenging (for me) trails. I end up in the higher powered range more than I want. My lack of conditioning and long moderately steep grades are the issue.
I have yet to use it to explore with.

Unfortunately no. I looked into it some. There's a few people out there asking for it and the responses I see are from people who don't understand how a regeneration system actually works.
My ride today, I did 5 miles of uphill. I was thinking how a regeneration system would help me control my downhill speed. As it was I was on the brakes the whole way back down.