Converting this utility trailer by mounting roof top tent above it? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Converting this utility trailer by mounting roof top tent above it?

You can but you may be better served with an open box trailer. I second the axle concern. You really should have brakes, even on a light trailer.
If you can find one cheap enough used, a few hundred for a 3500 pound axle and brakes. You have good bearings and an axle you never have to worry about.

Small trailer wise, I've built three open box trailers, one I still have. My old jeeps didn't have much room and as time went on, my trips required more "comfy" gear. Along comes a trailer.

OMG I wish I had the space to build something like this. Which reminds me, there was a trailer at the Expo that was like a wagon and have a plastic roof over it, and then a rooftop tent over that. Crazy lightweight. I need to go back to the expo paper and track down that company and I’ll repost the brand here.

OMG I wish I had the space to build something like this. Which reminds me, there was a trailer at the Expo that was like a wagon and have a plastic roof over it, and then a rooftop tent over that. Crazy lightweight. I need to go back to the expo paper and track down that company and I’ll repost the brand here.
I don't suppose you are talking about Space Trailer?

How much off-roading you planing on doing? Is that frame going to hold up to offroad bumpy trails? I would be concerned about the frame giving out.

I just Googled that trailer, I might be wrong, but I don't think that trailer is meant to go offroad?
I'd guess that will depend on how much you have in it, and how "offroad" you are talking about. Dirt road with mild bumps, it should be OK. However if you have 5000lbs in it and rock crawling with it, I'd guess you might have issues.

The question is, how much weight will you have in it? To much and any trailer will start to have problems on offroad trail.

While these guys converted this trailer to teardrop, this was still very interesting and shows them working on the frame which might be helpful for you:

Build that sucker out of aluminum! The problem with those axles is that they are so darn heavy. I would look at other options.

Looks to 'light duty' for anything I would be doing. That suspension and frame would need a lot of work

These DIY projects are all great, but what about the center of gravity on a trailer like that? Looks really top heavy?

While these guys converted this trailer to teardrop, this was still very interesting and shows them working on the frame which might be helpful for you:

That one is a lot more sturdy of a build than the first one referenced by the OP. This one would stand up better to the abuse of offroading.