Aftermarket LED tail lights. | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Aftermarket LED tail lights.

smritte

I thought I would pass this along.

I've been fielding questions about people installing LED tail light assemblies in 2019-2022 Toyotas and having the collision avoidance system flip out when you turn on the headlights. This may also apply to other vehicles but I only hear about Toyota's.

Looking over the diagrams and using personal experience, the lights are feeding back a little voltage from the tail light into the stop circuit. The avoidance system monitors this wire. It now sees voltage but doesn't see the brake being applied. Now it gets confused and sets codes.

This will only happen if the vehicle monitors that wire.

Unfortunately, I don't have a light assembly to play with and can only guess at a fix. Install a diode into the stop wire, near or inside the housing. The factory LED systems I looked at have this feature.

I have also been told, these manufactures are blaming the customers for the issues (go figure).
Its very possible some manufactures are building these correctly. I only hear about the ones that dont.

This is just in case you know someone with a Toyota and this issue.

I'm sure the Toyota peeps will appreciate your post. Manufactures and big brands blaming consumers so they can get out of paying? The MADNESS! ha ha ha