What do you like most about camping? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

What do you like most about camping?

Paul Meyers

We went out for a quick camping trip this weekend. I'm sitting here, coffee in hand, it's cold, but the buddy heater is working overtime on my feet. There is low hanging clouds hugging the valleys between the mountains in front of me. I'm watching a squirrel transport nuts to the back side of a tree (have no idea where he is going).

Me? I just love the mornings when camping. So peaceful. What about you?

Mornings are a fresh life, new chapter and magic. 100% with you on that one. More meaningful when near water for me.

Mornings are great, but I have to say that it's the people I have meet while out camping. I've made some of the best friendships over the years from people that I have meet while camping.

trecking-alpin-schweiz-mehrtaegig-wandern-mit-zelt_5800.jpg

overlanding-vanlife-4x4-wie-muss-der-perfekte-campsite-campingplat-aussehen-005.jpg

overlanding-vanlife-4x4-wie-muss-der-perfekte-campsite-campingplat-aussehen-004.jpg

overlanding-europa-vanlife-roadtrip-wildcamping.jpg

The nature out there, and to be able to stay remotely and self-sufficient for several days.

My wife an me - do look more for wilderness and to stay lonely during overlanding.

trippin

OK, I agree with those of you that stated mornings, however for me, it's the smell of the air, and time around campfire at night.

Views, sound of crickets, the smell of the air in the morning, the smell of the campfire (like Majave Traveler said), and above all I enjoy just being out in nature!

in the following order:

Switzerland
Sweden
Bulgaria
Bulgaria

trippin

That's incredible, are you all able to drive from country to county over there? Or do you need to stop and show passport? Actually to get to Sweden, did you go by way of Copenhagen?

laender_europa.jpg

Inside of the european union (the colorized countries on the map) we "usually" dont had to stop and to show our passport,

So it depends, which route you plan to use for bulgaria, if you need your passport or not.

But anyway - crossing borders isnt something big, no visa required, no car search, no hassle - at least if you dont looks like a drug user ;)

Sweden we can reach by highway (bridge) or by ferry. We did bypass copenhagen ad the sweden trip. That city is beautiful, but we already did spent there some time by flight/city trips.

trippin

So that looks like one heck of a drive! How long did it take you?

Honestly - I didnt travel a lot in europe, also when I`m from the center, from switzerland.

My plan was to travel the "more dangerous" part at first, and to travel safer destinations like europe, us, australia for extended time at age.

Most of my travel-time till today was in Africa and South America - but yes, specially in the last 2-3 Years I did some Europe tours too, mostly because it is possible without planning, shipping - just start driving.

My plan was "to start" the silkroad at 2021, but Covid/Corona was a showstopper. On my wishlist ist still "the rest of the world" - but between travelling - I had to work too... We will see what the next years will bring - on opportunities!

AVvXsEgH_ObNE7Mi_1VEHO7ipSd6P593tM0bYWLDfLV6OzybN2KXaVGUUQEfN-CWXHdB1zbjZtf42_mHZloCs4u7xWd9gZPA_aFcszc2mm0DMZIs9YiMDcTo4YtAwCBdvyIWm0c7VO9Da-UX5knpuRkQpoY27e1SokuDA9OrXyfApGadruWZ6-yrWDMbY0kW=s1280

+1 on the people you meet! We have meet some very nice people, some we head out with nearly each time we head out!

When you say 'most dangerous' is that driving through Africa? Or you referring to terrain?

To cross africa is at least stressful from time to time. If you did cross countries like nigeria with tons of roadblocks, checkpoints, bribing szenarios - you probably know what I mean. That is stuff what you can handle easier at a jounger age.

As travellers who are mostly are wildcamping, we thought that we should able to help ourself at night, What is easier at jounger age too.

So looking back to the transafrica, the more dangerous part was may be not that dangerous than we thought, But yes: in Mali in the city Keyes was a overlander got kidnapped a day before we did arrive. He was killed 3 years later... I still think at younger age you are probably more prepeared to react better in a hostage situation. To drive through, where armed people like to stop you..

Links:
our travel diary: http://transafrica2012.blogspot.com/2012/11/inreach-message-from-viermalvier-reisend_21.html
Link to newspaper: https://www.spiegel.de/politik/ausland/franzose-in-mali-verschleppt-a-868520.html

That we will find our crazierst night years later in europe - we never thought before: https://vanlife.4x4tripping.com/2022/05/in-wrong-place-at-wrong-time-vanlife-wildcamp-dangerous.html

trippin

All of the above. But the big winner for me about camping is it gives me a mental break and live a more simple life and enjoy 'quiet' and nature. That's a pretty heavy answer that some might not get.