Washing hands and dishes when tent camping? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Washing hands and dishes when tent camping?

TacoMe

I'm looking for ideas on setups for washing hands and dishes when you are off tent camping? We have a 5 gallon water jug, but just need to figure out easy way of getting the water out of it. I have found some portable sinks on Amazon that pop into place. But posting this thread to get some perspective before I go spending a dime.

Thanks for the ideas!

Look up smritte here, he has a DIY pump you can mount in your water container. The guy has some slick builds so you‘ll want to follow his posts here.

Powered water can

This is a link to my build thread. You can buy the pump setup somewhere for about $200. Yea, their proud of it.
I've had the same dilemma most of my life. I have a water pump and tank built into my trailer but I don't always bring it. I also have a folding wash basin I can fill with hot water but, if I didn't bring the trailer I have to pour water to rinse. Then there's the whole washing hands thing. Wet wipes only do so much.
As useful as this is, I cant believe its takin me years to build one.

Ha! Ryan you beat me to that one. yeah TacoMe, be sure to check out the link smritte provided!

I'm putting together a part list and going to give that a shot. How long did it take you to build that?

A couple of hours. The hard part is drilling the hole for the disconnect. The hole has to be located so the nut underneath doesn't hit the ribs when you thread it together. I ruined a lid finding that out. If you don't plan on a disconnect its way easier.

Look for a slightly bigger pump and battery. I used it for a shower last trip. It worked but I little more water would have been nice and I think I'm going to upgrade the battery size.

Oh, man, this is a great question! So, how can you wash your hands and dishes when tent camping? Well, there are a few options, and some of them might surprise you (or not).

First off, you can always use a good ol' fashioned bucket and some biodegradable soap. Fill the bucket with warm water, add a few drops of soap, and you're good to go. Just make sure to dispose of the dirty water properly, so you don't pollute the environment.

Another option is to use a portable sink or hand-washing station. You can find these online or at camping supply stores, and they're great for keeping your hands clean and hygienic. Plus, some of them even have foot pumps, so you don't have to use your hands at all!

If you're really roughin' it, you can always use some natural resources to wash up. For example, if you're near a river or lake, you can use the water to wash your hands and dishes. Just be sure to use a biodegradable soap, and don't dump the dirty water back into the water source.

And, of course, there's always the option of not washing your hands or dishes at all. Hey, it's camping, right? Just embrace the dirt and grime, and you'll fit right in with nature.

But seriously, I get it, hygiene is important, even when you're camping. Just having a little fun with my answer. Smritte has a killer set up and that would be the best option. If you aren't a hands on dude, perhaps I gave some ideas to use in the mean time.