Trails and roads in Death Valley fixed? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Trails and roads in Death Valley fixed?

DaveInFresno

We've been thinking about heading down to Death Valley, however a few weeks ago we were told that many of the roads and trails were closed because of rain damage. Anyone been down there recently and can confirm if they are open or still closed down?

Man, those roads got messed up there! I had no idea it was that bad. Goes to show Mother Nature is a beast when she wants to be!

A few years ago I was in Panamint Valley (next to death valley) just after a flash flood. The road washout was easy 15 foot deep and about 50 foot across. Literally a cliff on both sides. I stood there and looked at it then looked around wondering where exactly did that much water come from. I've been out in storms and seen flash floods but nothing that would have caused that,

Flash floods are no joke. I saw a video on a few that hit Arizona (binged watched a few back to back on YouTube). Nature is a beast

Dang! that is crazy. Really though, with a little common sense and patience (along with capable off-roader, these conditions aren't all the bad).

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see all these fixed till Q1 of 2023, it's pretty messed up out there and this will cost some serious buck$ to fix.

I'm heading out there this weekend. "supposedly" a number have been repaired already. The ones missing large sections like kelbaker will be down for a while.