Traditional overlanders in Africa and Australia have under 33" tires, why in US most are 35"+? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Traditional overlanders in Africa and Australia have under 33" tires, why in US most are 35"+?

Tom Scherb

I was driving yesterday and saw comment on FB with similiar title. I was just checking a message from a friend and didn't have the time to read this post. But something I was curious about, so I'm going to post here.

Why is this so? If you look at all these overlanders from Africa and Australia, which I think we all can agree is the origin to overlanding, most trucks are on tires less than 33". Yet here in USA, most are 33"+. Why is that?

Im back down to 32.5.

I had 35's, loved the look of 37's but the extra wear isn't worth it to me. For us it's all about looks not function.
Another reason is, depending on the country, our vehicles would never be allowed on the highway. Most countries have strict rules on modifications. In reality most of our vehicles are technically illegal here.

Good question, I always thought it was a cultural thing. Wheeling is wheeling, although I think there is selling points for both sides. But interesting thought though.

Ohhhhh, didn’t know that. So we (USA) are just more liberal when it comes to modification laws. So this brings up the point that if these laws didn’t exist elsewhere, would we see larger wheels being used in Australia and Africa?