Tracking down rattling noise under truck? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Tracking down rattling noise under truck?

Offroad Bound

When it's just you, how in the world are you tracking down a rattling noise that is under your truck? I have something that has been providing nerve racking noise for the last 3 weeks and it's driving me up the wall!

Is it a driveline noise? For example is it something you can only hear when accelerating or backing off the throttle? Or is it a suspension noise which can only be heard when going through a bumpy road?

For drive line noises put the truck on jack stands and have all 4 wheels of the ground. Try rolling the wheels back and forwards by pushing on them with your arm or legs (I know it sounds difficult and it is but it is the only choice) while you do that keep an eye underneath to see if you can spot where the noise is coming from. You can also do this while the vehicle is on the ground and has load. The noise my be more pronounced this way.

For suspension noises lift the vehicle and pry on suspension parts with a pry bar until you find what is loose