Possible to mount solar panels on softshell tent? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Possible to mount solar panels on softshell tent?

Derek

I just posted another question that I'm pretty sure is going to be a no go for me. So, I'm going to plan for the worst. I'm pretty sure we are going to need to go with a softshell rooftop tent. That being the case, is it possible to have solar mounted to the roof? If so, how would that happen considering there is a cover that needs to be removed each time we set up the tent?

Have you considered getting a portable panel? They make suitcase style solar panels you can set up where you want.

Super cool, found it! That will help out my search tremendously. Now ideally I do want something that is already mounted on the roof, however if what I get doesn't have that option, it's nice to see there are options!

We are looking at a number of tents and was told that mounting solar can only be done on true hard shells.

Yeah, that's one of the downsides to owning a softshell tent. That and set up time isn't as fast as other options.