Overland trailer really worth the expense? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Overland trailer really worth the expense?

Tom Scherb

Trailer vs topper camper? I know a big pro of having a trailer is that you don't need to lug that around with you all the time. But you do need to store it, more MPGs to tow it, maintenance and navigating trails could be more challenging. So is it worth the expense vs just putting a camping topper on your truck?

You hit all the main point's. I like mine but where it really shines is harsh weather especially wind. You truly cant beat it if you set up a base camp for several days. I am pretty much the only one left in my group who runs a trailer. I ran an RTT on a small trailer for about ten years. It was easier to deal with due to overall size then my teardrop.
I do take trips where I sleep in the back of my Cruiser and sometimes I really do like the portability of my friends hard-shell RTT's.

On the other hand. I have not been impressed with any of the "overland" trailers I've seen or camped with as of yet. The first ones I saw many years ago were made from the old M-100 style military trailers. They were small and I don't think any of them weighed over 1000 pounds with an RTT. This is what I based my first trailer on.
Roll forward fifteen years. I have yet to see one I would buy. Most are so over weight its crazy. The build quality on most is fair.

Overall I would not buy any trailer I have examined in person over the last five years unless it stayed on mild dirt roads only. My trailers have been driven on all types of trails with my tear drop being what I would consider more of an "overlanding" trailer and my M-100 designed for more extreme trails. The biggest difference between mine and ones I've seen is theirs appear to be more of a first design and more of a novel concept trying to grab a piece of the overland fad.

Here's a concept, lets build expensive trailers with no real off road knowledge and not improve on it. The ones that do get improved tend to look more like a truck utility bed on a trailer frame. Way overweight with poor suspension and a lot of cool gadgets. The only improvements being gadgets.
There's one I've camped with a couple of times. Its an Aussy built tank. I think its over 4000 pounds. I will say, set up its real nice and priced more than a new car. Good thing the guy who owns it pulls it with a 3500 dodge diesel.

Summarizing, I would take a hard shell RTT with a quality Batwing awning. The awning must have the side panels This gives you a living area and a cook area. Three of the vehicles I run with are now set up like this. I will be setting this up on my cruiser and sleeping on a cot for trips I don't want the trailer on.
Still not real happy with the trailers, especially the teardrops unless it was mild dirt roads.

Well, this all depends on what your personal needs are. You have to factor in the sheer storage gains you have with a trailer, and that trailer also becoming a center hub allowing you to head out and explore without having to pack up camp each time.

The only thing I would consider as valuable or replacement is one of those wedge style campers that extend above your truck bed where you can actually stand up in the back of your truck. Those are cool IMO. GFC and Super Pacific are a couple off the top of my head.

So speaking of teardrops, do you find the hard walls take a beating when you take it off-road and it’s flexing all over the place?