Off to the mountains for a few days. | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Off to the mountains for a few days.

smritte

With work being chaotic lately, I haven't been out for several months. I hope its not too crowded. Just going to find some trees and relax. probably do very little off road once I get there.

2.5 days in the local mountains. Average about 80 degrees daytime and 52 night.. First night there were three of us with the main group coming up Saturday. Turned out the main group ended up with 12 rigs (six more then we thought). This meant finding a bigger spot Saturday morning. The group arrived about mid day. That afternoon I was "talked" into leading a group on a black diamond trail (did I mention, I have no lockers?)

Three rigs went and I had to train people how to spot. UGH. The only damage was my exhaust system (which needed to be replaced anyway) and I needed to be winched in one area (did I mention training new spotters). The trail we chose is 7 miles with three hard areas made up of rock gardens. The first is dry and not too bad.. The center is made up of 40 yards of big, round wet, sandy rocks. Did I mention I hate round rocks? The other end is about 10 yards, crawling over wet rocks in a stream with a hard left turn. This was where I was winched. My newly trained spotters didn't understand watching rear tires as well as front. My rear tire, slipped of a wet round rock and wedged my rear axle between two large rocks (did I mention I hate round rocks?). This managed to bend my exhaust up over my rear tire. That took some "persuasion" to bend it back.

We got back to camp just after dark and just intime for the (huge) potluck dinner. We broke camp the next day and I headed home about noonish.
Over all had a great time. I cant wait until the next run.

I only have a few pictures. I'm waiting for the others to send me pictures. I have a couple of videos but cant upload them and don't know how to link them.

camp single.jpgcamp sm.jpg

Me at the second camp. tried to get a shot of most of the camp but, the trees got in the way . We took up a pretty large area

Group web.jpg

Group Pic

Holy spokes that a good size group! Most of the time I like going out solo, but the few times I have gone out with large groups has been so much fun. Is that a Devos light I see in one of your photos? How do you like that light?

Our normal groups are 4-5 rigs. When we do close trips everyone comes out. Half of the people there were new.
Devos lights are probably one of the best investments I've made. Most of our main group has two. They really rock if you need a large area lit or rolling into camp late, they set up quick.

Small animals mostly. The mountain lions, bobcats and deer are a bit more remote. The bears hang out closer to the city.

may have some more pictures tonight

Still trying to get pictures.
I really suck at video editing but here's a shot of me going through Holcomb Creek gate keeper. Open on 32's

That's a heck of a gatekeeper. This wasn't to get into camp was it? Noticed above you had your trailer, curious how you got your trailer to camp?

I'm camped about ten miles from there off a regular fire road. That was the entrance to a trail. Years ago I was the liaison to that route. I also have an M-100 trailer that I built to haul gear and materials up and down it. My teardrop would be destroyed.
The rock garden in the center of that trail is way harder then the gatekeepers. It took us a bit to navigate the center one.

You lucked out on that large camping spot, did you all need to reserve that or just luck out? Speaking of which, how often are you getting out?

When I showed up on Friday, There were people scattered through there. I went to another spot that's more remote. The next day we found out more people were coming than expected and the spot I picked was going to be too small.
I re- scouted the big spot and everyone had pulled out. The three of us grabbed corners and I set up some gear in the fourth corner. By the time the group got there, several groups of other vehicles drove through looking for a place. We lucked out.

I (try) to get out no less then once a month sometimes I get two in a month. This trip was the first one since...march? Work and house stuff got in the way.

Going out this upcoming weekend with a group that I haven't seen in nearly 2 years! Excited, hope to have a good time like you did.