Need Advice for Water Filtration During My First Dispersed Camping Trip | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Need Advice for Water Filtration During My First Dispersed Camping Trip

Cole Darrill

I'm planning my inaugural dispersed camping adventure and have a query regarding water sources. Although my campsite will be relatively close to my vehicle, I prefer not to bring bottled water. Instead, I'm intrigued by the idea of sourcing water from nearby creeks. What is the best method to ensure the creek water is safe for drinking? Are options like filter bags or filter straws reliable, or is boiling the water a necessary step? Looking for tips and recommendations from experienced campers.

I've never used mine, but I have one of those blue straw filters (Life Straw), which honestly I had planned on using for emergency. They also make one that has a bag that you fill with the creek water and it filters out into a bottle of your choice.

If you have water coming out the other side of filter, it's good to go, those filters are designed to filter down ridiculous, which is why they work so well. Might not be quick, but will be safe.