Jeep vs Toyota | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Jeep vs Toyota

Walter K

OK, let me start by saying I'm not trying to start any sort of drama fest here. I'm just curious in terms of raw numbers in the overlanding space, is Jeep the leader or is Toyota?

Dang, good question. If I were to GUESS, I would say Toyota, only because the tend to last longer and there are more less expensive options on the road?

Well..lets see.
I've owned 2 Cherokees, 1 Grand Cherokee, 1 CJ5, 1 CJ7, 1 YJ, 1TJ. That's the jeeps. Toyota pu, 86, 89, 91, 19. SUV, 96 Cruiser and a 17 4Runner.
The CJ7 and the YJ were more rocks oriented running 38/39 tires. The TJ was rocks/trail with the biggest tire being 37. I never owned one of the newer bodies.

Jeep, short wheelbase, horrible engineering, poor ride and mileage. Works great in rocks
Toyota "can be made to do rocks", good ride, better engineering. You don't buy a Toyota for fuel mileage.
My TJ was the best driving jeep after I fixed all the Jeep problems. I understand the new ones are better except for the first two years of the next body style. they mysteriously caught fire and burned to the ground.
My toyotas are best for what I do now. Drive, camp explore.
Both have the best aftermarket support over all other vehicles.
Theres my opinion.

Well..lets see.
I've owned 2 Cherokees, 1 Grand Cherokee, 1 CJ5, 1 CJ7, 1 YJ, 1TJ. That's the jeeps. Toyota pu, 86, 89, 91, 19. SUV, 96 Cruiser and a 17 4Runner.
The CJ7 and the YJ were more rocks oriented running 38/39 tires. The TJ was rocks/trail with the biggest tire being 37. I never owned one of the newer bodies.

Jeep, short wheelbase, horrible engineering, poor ride and mileage. Works great in rocks
Toyota "can be made to do rocks", good ride, better engineering. You don't buy a Toyota for fuel mileage.
My TJ was the best driving jeep after I fixed all the Jeep problems. I understand the new ones are better except for the first two years of the next body style. they mysteriously caught fire and burned to the ground.
My toyotas are best for what I do now. Drive, camp explore.
Both have the best aftermarket support over all other vehicles.
Theres my opinion.
Man, you have been around the block a few times with your rides! So did you one day make the move from Jeep to Toyota, or did you go back and forth?

Basically started Toyota then Jeep and back. Actually started with a 77 datsun. Add in scout dana 44 front/rear, dana 20 transfercase, turbo V6 from a grand national and a 700r4 trans, drive then stolen. NOW I started in Toyota.

Trip before the Engine swap...84ish
Dat.JPG

Last edited:
It was stolen about six months after I finished the motor swap. My buddy still owns the Toyota in the background.

Those were trucks that you could easily put half a million miles on and they would still be going like tanks! In the photo above, are those 31 or 33s?

Those were ....32"s?. 11.50 tru tracks if that brings back memories. At that time 33's were massive and if you ran 35's you just broke things.