How to Start camp fire when wood is wet? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

How to Start camp fire when wood is wet?

WranglerGuy

It’s Sunday morning, and I’m typing this on my phone (surprised I‘m able to connect to this site at camp). Anyway, last night we had a extremely difficult time getting our campfire going as all the wood was wet and the ground was wet. Is there a secret to getting a fire going in these conditions? Please share!

I soak the wood in lighter fluid and have been known to use gas. The goal is to evaporate the water quickly. On my last trip, the lighter fluid didn't produce enough heat. Everyone was afraid of using gas. The key is to build a small tee-pee, put the gas on that and put wood over the fuel soaked wood. Make sure to let it soak for a few min's and throw a match at it.

There are some fire starters out there that burn incredibly hot and assuming you have your small wood broken into thin pieces, you should get something that catches on and dries out the rest in the process.

I had to go digging for this one. But watched this video last year and will say this method actually works well!

I had to go digging for this one. But watched this video last year and will say this method actually works well!

To abuse duct tape as firestarter is probably something for survival, but I would not like to smell the plastic or to bbq later my food on that.

trippin