How long can you store water before bacteria or ?? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

How long can you store water before bacteria or ??

JoJo

Would happen to know how long water can be stored in containers before bacteria or other things start to make the water not safe to drink?

Assuming you are keeping it in a cool place and out of the sun, maybe 4-5 months I would consider replacing the water.

4-5 months? I wouldn't keep longer than a couple months! That water is going to taste like ass.

It depends on the water cleanes and the tank preparation

silvertex-vlies-wmaquatec.jpg

If you use silver inside of the tank, you can keep it longer. Above you can see a vlies out of silver mesh for that purpose.

trippin

I'm going to chime in on this thread, didn't know the answer to this myself. So on that silver mesh you show above. How would you get that into a water container and I'm guessing you still need to replace that from time to time right?

I'm going to chime in on this thread, didn't know the answer to this myself. So on that silver mesh you show above. How would you get that into a water container and I'm guessing you still need to replace that from time to time right?

I did put those in the 85l tank of my landcruiser (on a fishing cord), did change it all 2 years.

Also after 10 years there was nothing smelling inside of the tank, or film/coating at the inner walls.

Without the fill/use/refill you dont had to change the mesh - I would consider that for long term storage.

The other question is, why you want to make the water usable for years?

trippin

After each trip I flush mine out. That's one thing I don't mess with, last thing you want is to chug some water and have stomach problems

2 months is the max I would store. But keep in mind you can get those water purifier pills to extend things.

If you live in warm area, and plan on drinking or cooking with that water, I would empty it after each trip. If you are concerned about wasting water, empty your water in a flower bed or garden of some sort.