How are you cleaning out your dirty air filter? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

How are you cleaning out your dirty air filter?

Vance Hogg

When you are out in super dusty trails for extended periods, how are you cleaning your trucks air filter so it keeps as much air flow into the motor? I've tried small air bottles and they just don't have the ummmff. Any suggestions?

I have a cleanable filter and I install these in all my vehicles.
Service Gauge
After a trip, I tap the filter on the ground to knock off the bigger pieces.
Another thing I do is. look through the filter into light. Sometimes I've seen holes.

Be careful of the K&N filter. Their more of a screen door than a filter. The cleanable filter I put on my Cruiser is a Toyota filter designed for mining vehicles. All my other vehicles get paper air cleaners.

Running these gauges gives me an idea if the filter is becoming restricted. I started installing these after reading an article about how air cleaners are the most over replaced items on a vehicle. On my last Jeep, I went almost two years before I saw any noticeable movement on my gauge. I ended up replacing it because one of the times i tapped it on the ground, I tore it.

I'm normally the last vehicle in the group. Driving in dust is common for me.

Any of you running a cold air intake on your off-road truck?
If you mean a snorkel, I don't run one. They actually help but, I cant get myself to cut a hole in my fender. Adding the cyclonic filter top to them makes them even better.
If your referring to the under hood metal ram air or cold air systems, most of those should be avoided. They can actually cause a power reduction,