Electric Sprinter van conversions - ESprinter | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Electric Sprinter van conversions - ESprinter

Spencer

Funny, I recall reading an article back in 2023 that stated all new Sprinter vans would be electric by 2025. Even on MB website the eSprinter is still showing as “coming soon”. But here is what I’m itching to know - range? Offering an eSprinter cargo van stripped down for city use and charging stations all over is one thing.

What about adding cabinets, sink, water and grey water tanks, bed and shower? This weight will butcher any sort of range predictions. Not unless a huge leap forward in battery tech.

So when do you think we will see conversion eSprinter vans hitting the market and conversion shops?

As remote as I go, I would need a hybrid. "If" battery technology evolves more, I may consider one. Last summer, I calculated driving electric to all my normal places. My calculations were based on distances people drove off road.

The mountain areas are a no go as well as some of the desert. The places I can go are dependent on being able to charge fully at the beginning and a few as soon as I hit pavement at the end.

Conversion shops will "mod" an electric system in. If you found a place to do it properly, it would be costly and the shop that converted it will be the only one who can work on it if there's an issue. The next question is, who's batteries and motors did they use?

I would wait on MB. Right now, quite a few manufactures are backing off on electric vehicles. If someone put out a Hybrid van, I would be buying that right now.

I couldn't agree more. Hybrid needed or solar technology improved enough to fast charge in the sticks with short period of sunlight.

As remote as I go, I would need a hybrid. "If" battery technology evolves more, I may consider one. Last summer, I calculated driving electric to all my normal places. My calculations were based on distances people drove off road.

The mountain areas are a no go as well as some of the desert. The places I can go are dependent on being able to charge fully at the beginning and a few as soon as I hit pavement at the end.

Conversion shops will "mod" an electric system in. If you found a place to do it properly, it would be costly and the shop that converted it will be the only one who can work on it if there's an issue. The next question is, who's batteries and motors did they use?

I would wait on MB. Right now, quite a few manufactures are backing off on electric vehicles. If someone put out a Hybrid van, I would be buying that right now.

I know what I'm going to share isn't relating to vans, but did you see news article yesterday that Hertz will remove 20,000 of its electric cars from its fleet and replace with gas? https://www.reuters.com/business/au... will instead opt for,to electric by 2024 end.

When we buy our van, not a chance I'm going electric. Diesel all the way.

I saw that article. I read another piece two years ago that was about the rental car companies getting grief from the customers. They didn't realize a cross state trip meant recharging all the time. Their gas vehicle would do the trip on one to one and a half tanks of fuel.

One lady complained her electric rental had to be charged under 150 miles. You need to plan your chargers properly which means you may be filling up at 80 miles. She drove from the far corner of Arizona to central Calif. She rented the electric car because she thought it would be faster and save money. More time and not much cheaper.

Broken chargers and sometimes long lines to charge. Once word got out, people didn't want to rent electric cars any more. My sister is on her third tesla. She says she doesn't have issues with the chargers but the other chargers rarely work. She said the "non Tesla" people are commonly all using the one working charger.

That’s what I was thinking. Major changes would need to happen with solar panels in order to have enough power captured to charge something like this and get enough range to get your out of the sticks!

Between the batteries in the van and all the other accessories, can you imagine how heavy that van will be? I bet it would trump the new electric Hummer weight.

Personally, I wouldn’t buy an electric van, not until these have a range of 1000 miles per charge at least. As Delon pointed out the weight would be something on its own with the batteries. However, this could be a good thing from a center gravity standpoint. Think about it, Teslas are some of the most grounded vehicles on the road because of their low center of gravity. This could be a good thing for vans That are typically top heavy.

I couldn't agree more. Now isn't the time for vans with EV, not at least for long distance driving or custom vans. If Amazon or delivery services want to drive around town, go for it. But not weighted down custom vans.

FedEx is running electric vans on local runs as well, they don't get all that much range when loaded up. Weight kills range.