Do you keep a large knife or some sort of hatchet/axe in your rig? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Do you keep a large knife or some sort of hatchet/axe in your rig?

Vincent Peri

I have pocket knifes all over the place and just ordered an axe and machete. Larger blades like this, what are you using to sharpen the blade?

For my large tools I use my belt grinder. Your not suppose to use a powered anything because if you heat the edge, it looses temper and will never stay sharp. I'm just very careful.
The recommended tools are a file and whet stone. You sharpen to 25 degrees. There are a few sharpening tools out there that hold the angle properly. I recommend you look into them. Being close to exact makes all the difference.

I have a guide I made for my grinder. My knife's I do on a whet stone at 20 degrees. Years of sharpening, i can hold the angle well. There's some nice sharpeners out there that hold the angle for you.

The only knife I'll sharpen myself is my pocket knife. My axe, larger knives and even our kitchen knives from home get professionally done.

I have a number of Tops knifes and axes in my rig and a Swedish made axe which hands down is my favorite, all I have sharpened down the road from where I live. Old timer has a small sharpening businesses and does a great job.

I have an axe that I bought at Home Depot a few years back and I have no clue what brand it is. When it comes time to sharpening it, I have a grinder that has a jig that will hold my axe at the right angle and off to the races I go.

I have pocket knifes all over the place and just ordered an axe and machete. Larger blades like this, what are you using to sharpen the blade?

All mine are professionally sharpened. Not that I don't know how to do it, but I like the convenience of dropping off all my knives and axes and they picking them up a few days later razor sharp.