Crazy River Crossing! Red Jeep goes for a swim at Azusa Canyon | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Crazy River Crossing! Red Jeep goes for a swim at Azusa Canyon

Trail Mule

So someone help me understand this group of people. Most look like they are running all season tires, few had rigs that were REALLY built up and that river seemed to be moving pretty fast. Oh and let's not forget that I didn't see a single truck with a snorkel.

What's in the water these people are drinking? BTW it's worth watching, the poor 2 door Jeep does make the ultimate sacrifice thanks to it's owner.

I grew up right below this place. This is where ALL the idiots went to destroy their vehicles

Starting in high school, I was up there with my Willy's PU almost every weekend. About two years out of high school, this place became a fad. Every day you were there, you were guarantied to see at least 3-4 acts of total stupidity. I have seen more people destroy new rigs here then anyone would believe. More then half of the people there, still had the new, paper plate from the dealer. So yes, people bought new 4wd's just to go there.

Depending on the year, you would have rocks, sand, deep sticky mud, almost vertical hill climbs that you had to back down. If you go down stream to the reservoir, at the right time of year, the mud will act like quick sand. I have seen a few vehicles literally disappear.

To add to the fun, all the half azzed home made lift kits flock here. very few of them leave under their own power.

This is where I got all of my experience in mud, sand, rock and rollover extraction techniques. Not just constant practice but I got to see every combination of people doing it wrong and dangerous.

A few examples.

Stuck in the mud badly.
Chain extraction. 30-50 foot of chain and get a running start.
1. tear one or both bumpers off
2. hook chain to suspension, bending or removing what you attached it to.
3.having the chain break. It snapped forward to the tow rig, caving in the tailgate and going through the windshield from the rear window.

Using a winch.
1. having the winch and bumper tear off the winching vehicle.
2. having the winch burn out because it stopped pulling and he kept trying to make it move. This "seized" the winch with probably 10k of tension on the cable. The winch vehicle had propped himself against a rock barrier so he wouldnt drag himself forward.
3. two winch cables break under tension.
4. several vehicles trying to winch one stuck vehicle. Different brands of winch pull at diffrent speeds. All they managed to do was tear the front bumper off the stuck truck.

A head on collision with two highspeed dirt bikes. They had a flat 100 yard by 50 yard open area with no people. Two head on collisions with vehicles (same area). Ice chests constantly bounced out of truck beds. People bounced out of truck beds. People and ice chests thrown from truck bed while truck was doing doughnuts.

A jeep drove up the side of the mountain. The climb was very steep. He tried to turn around on the hill about 200 foot up. No seat belts or top. Both were ejected and killed.

A small truck somehow put itself on its side. Instead of just rolling it back on its wheels (30 odd people standing there), an idiot wrapped his winch cable over the sheet metal and down to the frame. His intent was to roll the vehicle upside down then back on its wheels. Basically the wrong direction. What he accomplished was crushing the sheet metal of the cab.

Lastly. My all time favorite. Small 4cyl pick up (don't remember brand) that couldn't have 200 miles on it yet
Picture a narrow, steep what I think of as a motorcycle jump. Solid, hard dirt climb about six foot high, almost vertical with a smooth approach ramp.
Hitting that about 25 mph. It wasnt fast enough to fly but the vehicle shot straight up into the air, clearing the ramp then slamming to the ground.
It only took three tries before he literally tore the engine and trans loose from the mounts. The final crash ended with a horrific metal tearing sound as the engine literally went sideways in the compartment. The owner was pissed at the dealer for selling him a POS.

Not knowing there were better places to go off road and it was close, I spent at least my first five odd years going there.
If you can guess it, odds are I have seen it.

There's nothing more rewarding then watching idiots destroy new vehicles.

Last edited:
OMG, this was comedy to watch. Comedy at the same time painful to watch. These people are morons. At least they are all in one location! :ROFLMAO: I'm not going to say I never did any dumb things. God knows that isn't the truth, I've done my share. But now just stay clear from this vehicular abuse.

OK, I’m at a loss of words. Sure as teens (who am I kidding, well into my 20’s!) we did plenty of stupid stuff like this. We didn’t know better. As an adult? LOL oh man.