Converting Jeep Gladiator hood vents to functional? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Converting Jeep Gladiator hood vents to functional?

Jared McDaniel

Heat is the enemy of engine bays right? I'm in my garage and staring at my Jeeps hood and wondering if there is a way to make the 'for show' hood vents, functional means to increase airflow? Has this been done? Actually surprised Jeep put these fake vents on here. Don't get me wrong, they look good, but don't see why they just couldn't make them functional.

I don't own a Gladiator nor have I done more then a cursory look at the vents. Your question made me curious so I researched it. I was amazed (not really) with the amount of guessing and misinformation I saw on the forums.
Looking at the placement of the vents as well as the overall build of the vehicle, I don't see where it will harm you. It will vent some of the heat in a slow crawl during hot weather.
If this was an A6 Audi I would strongly caution against it. On the other hand, my TJ and Cruiser would actually benefit from it, in a diffrent spot.

Good catch.
Yes it can.
Negative pressure wouldn't be as much of an issue as positive pressure. That's why I mentioned the Audi.

The more aerodynamic the body the harder it is for air to go through the radiator. Air is happier just going around, not through. Basically, path of least resistance.
On an aerodynamic vehicle, you create a suction under the firewall, pulling air (negative pressure). Combined with the ugly panels under your hood you create an air stream through the radiator, across the engine and into the low pressure area under the fire wall.

"IF" the vent or scoop is placed forward in the air stream, it will add pressure, blocking what was being pulled from the radiator. This can also create turbulence, slowing airflow down.
If its backwards or in a low pressure stream it will pull air. This "should" be fine unless it forces the air in the wrong direction (as well as creating turbulence), causing something to not be cooled

Fortunately, we chose vehicles with the aerodynamic properties of a shoe box. The flat (ish) front of the vehicle makes the air go through. Turbulence from the tires and the height don't help. The height also negates most of the low pressure area under the vehicle.

The question is, would a scoop help us, hinder us or do nothing? No idea.

We would definitely benefit from side vents on the rear edges of the hood or the rear sides of the fenders. These would at least vent at low speed and hopefully pull at higher speed.

The question now is, do you NEED to do this or is it just the cool factor of adding louvers? My Cruiser and my old TJ would benefit from louvers but at this time are not required.

That brings us to the "Ram Air" rabbit hole.