Canvas wall tents and high winds? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Canvas wall tents and high winds?

Tom Scherb

I don't suppose any of you know how well do canvas tents hold up to heavy winds compared to other style tents? We are going to be out in Glamis for a few weeks and someone told me that I should look into a canvas tent because they often have heavy frames and the canvas can take a beating compared to other materials. Can you confirm this please?

I've seen those hold up pretty well. That's not going to be your problem though. Anchoring it is. Weight on the inside corners has worked for me. Sand stakes tend to pull out. The sand is a bit too fine there.

Agree anchoring is key with these sort of tents. Now regarding sand, there are larger sand anchors that can be driven into the ground, but depth is key.

Out there? It depends on how soft the sand is where you camp. There's sand spikes that look like auger bits. I've pulled those out by hand there. I've seen people fill cement cans with cement. That actually works well but way too much work for me. I've seen people bury the cans. UGH. Ill tie off to my truck and call it good. If I drive my truck while camped, I throw gear in the tent and tie it off again when I get back.

I use to go out there all the time. High wind was rare but not unheard of. If the temperature goes from cold to hot or hot to cold, your in for wind. How hard seems to match how far the temperature swing is.

We have have been using the White Duck 13' bell tent "Avalon" for a number of years and as already stated, having these anchored to the ground is key. We have been toying around going larger this year, they have a 16' bell tent that is called "Regatta" or something like that, and it's available in a green or red color that is pretty nice. Something different and a little bit larger. I'll keep you informed on which direction we go and should it have any difficulties in the wind. However that won't be till late spring best case scenario.

Funny, never looked at these sort of tents as much as I have after reading this post. These tents are houses!