At what point do you need electronic brakes on trailer? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

At what point do you need electronic brakes on trailer?

vanlady

As the title is asking, when towing a trailer, at what point should you have electronic brakes setup?

Always.

People will argue from a "Law" point of view which is based on weight.
Let me explain how trailers react to stopping without brakes
When you stop, the rear of your vehicle raises and the weight shifts forward, making the rear lighter. The trailer amplifies this action by pushing the rear higher.
In a panic stop, as long as your stopping perfectly straight, with everything aligned, your good. If your not aligned because you slightly swerved, the trailer push's the rear of the vehicle to the side. You are also adding more energy to your vehicle brakes. Most outfitted vehicles are close to max capacity on the stock brakes as it is. Long downhill mountain roads can overheat your vehicle brakes because the trailer is pushing you. Also, slow steep dirt down hills, the trailer weight can push you sideways if you don't keep everything aligned.

How bad can it be? It depends on how heavy the rear of the tow rig, trailer weight and angle of the trailer tongue.
What trailer brakes do beside stop the trailer is take the load off your vehicle brakes. They also leaver the rear of your vehicle down as you stop. This increases rear traction and stability on panic stops.

I've been towing trailers for decades. Everything from car haulers to light off road trailers. In the beginning I didn't run brakes on my light trailers because "Everyone" told me not to. I've been jack knifed by a 900# trailer on the freeway. Pushed sideways down a steep dirt hill with a 1400# trailer. Borrowed my friends car hauler and didn't know the brakes didn't work. A moderately hard stop, pushed the rear of my truck up and the rear brakes locked up. I can also show you people who don't run brakes and "Never had a problem".

You will see opinions both ways. I will never own a trailer without brakes. Seen too many issues. My brake controller has two settings, street and dirt. The brakes need to be tuned down for dirt or they just lock up.

When it comes to towing a trailer, setting up electronic brakes is a great question! Generally, it's recommended to have electronic brakes on your trailer if it weighs more than 1,500 pounds. However, the exact weight can vary by state, so it's a good idea to check your local laws to see what they specify.

Electronic trailer brakes are not just about legality; they're about safety too. They help ensure that both your vehicle and the trailer stop effectively and safely, especially important when you're hauling a heavy load. If your trailer is on the heavier side or if you're planning on driving through hilly or mountainous terrain, having electronic brakes can really improve your control and peace of mind.