Aftermarket front bumpers impact airbag deployment on Sprinter? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Aftermarket front bumpers impact airbag deployment on Sprinter?

VanGoCamp

I've noticed a lot of Sprinters outfitted with oversized aftermarket front bumpers, some even have Warn winches installed in them. I'm curious about how these might impact the airbag sensors, considering they're calibrated for the factory bumper and designed to deploy fast.

That's a question that I've heard for years. Not Sprinter specifically but air bags in general.
I have been trained on each generation of airbags since the late 80's, I would love to say yes or no but I cant.
I can say they detonate based on G-Force and later generations, G-Force and vehicle speed.. The factory impact absorbing front bumpers are factored in.

"What I think can happen" is on older vehicles, it may make the bags pop quicker. Newer vehicles also use vehicle speed as well as G-Force and "may" not be effected.
When I had my 04 Jeep. I pulled the fuse when I went off road. I was afraid the sudden stop and shockwave of me bouncing off a rock would detonate them.

As a guess, with a newer sprinter, I would say your probably good. If anything they would deploy quicker not slower.

Thank you for your feedback. Putting aside the airbag question, I think the larger beefier bumper will protect the nose a lot better!