2017 Jeep JK Death Wobble | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

2017 Jeep JK Death Wobble

Ken Sekley

I think I just created a monster! My 2017 just received new 35" tires and 2.5" lift. She looks good, but when you get driving and it hits a bump, the steering is horrible and all over the place.

I've jumped on Google and see people talking about "Death Wobble". Is there a clear solution for this?

Yes and No.
Death wobble is uncontrolled, side to side movement. I have battled it in a number of vehicles. The TJ's were the worse because the vehicle wasn't engineered properly. What causes it normally is high front caster and or worn out panhard rod bushings and mounting holes. What sets it off is a sudden side motion. this can be hitting a bump or tire balance. What makes it worse is worn parts.

What controls this movement is the Panhard rod with the steering stabilizer eliminating any shimmy the bushings let through. if your panhard rod bushings are worn this will normally cause it, worn stabilizer will let it get worse.

I have repaired vehicles where the panhard mount holes in the frame and axle were ovals. The steering and the panhard, fight constantly every time you turn. Over sized tires increase the side load against the Panhard. Over time the bushings get worn. I have had some rigs need the mounting points reinforced. The force wore the mount holes into ovals and some will crack the mounting points. I have seen them actually torn off.

If you have worn panhard bushings and or anything steering related worn out, an "improperly" balanced tire, will set it off just driving. This normally happens between 40-50 mph. Just because you had the tires balanced, doesn't mean they did it correctly. Most shops wont balance an off road tire correctly because of how much weight it normally takes. The customer normally complains about seeing a ton of weight on the rim. Remember, the tire isn't the problem but one of the symptoms. Tire balance will just shake the steering wheel if everything else is good.

1. start car
2. have someone turn steering side to side. 1/4 turn each way is enough.
3. the tires better turn without the axle shifting. pay close attention to your panhard on both ends. Inspect the mounts for cracks carefully. if you pull the panhard, make sure the mounting holes are still round.
4. check tie rod ends for play
5. even though you shouldn't really need one, if your steering stabilizer has a bunch of miles on it, replace it with a HD one.
6. drive on a smooth road about 50 mph. does your steering wheel shimmy at all. if so the tires are not balanced properly.
7. Last one. Did you get the front end aligned and did they raise the castor?
Most suspension's do not have that adjustment but some do. Jeep spec is around +4.5 degrees. It better not be higher than that. The only way that can happen is if someone raised it on purpose. By lifting the vehicle and not touching it, your probably around +3.5 degrees. That's a good number.

Who makes this harness and when did jeep put in electric steering?
Dont see anything under sinergy. Link?

The first link is for the gear box brace. The main issue with all gearbox steering systems is when you turn, the gear box tries to twist. Bigger tires makes this worse. The panhard rod also adds stress to the frame.
That kit is to keep you from tearing the gearbox off the frame.
The second looks like a nice upgrade piece for the steering stabilizer.