100% efficiency solar panels? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

100% efficiency solar panels?

Offroad Bound

I was reading and responding to Randy's post and this question came up and didn't want to hijack his thread, so posting a separate question.

Speaking of solar panels, are there any panels that get 100% what they are advertised at? Meaning if you bought at 150W solar panel, when you place it in optimal sunlight, you will get 150W of juice coming off it?

This is something I pondered for a while. From what I understand (someone correct me please), "IF" the panel is directed at the sun in (don't remember the country) with the temp exact (don't remember that either), at the right time of year (same) you will get the rated output minus connector loss.
In a nut shell from what I read, the panels should read "Up to...watt" output.
My average output runs about 70- 80% of the rating. Never looked at peak and the one I was watching is my flex panel mounted flat, facing up.. Those tend to be a bit lower than fixed panels.

Adding to the post, I looked to see what is available currently. To understand what I'm attempting to say, I need to fill in a few parts. The sun produces X power on a square meter surface. Its impossible to harness all of it. As of recently a facility in Netherlands has produced a cell the can convert 30% of that energy. Commercial panels can range up to 25% of the suns power. 15 odd years ago the best we could do was 12%.
This is the percentage of energy converted from the sun, not the panels rating.

What this means is if you had an old 100 watt 10% efficiency panel that was 10X10, a 20% efficiency panel would need to be 5X5. Half the size for the same output.
Old generation panels I see are rated anywhere from 12%-20%. These are still sold today.

I believe the rating (%) has an effect on our output. I can say that because, the amount of loss I see seems to be getting less as I get my hands on newer panels.

I'm not an expert in solar and only play around with it. Anytime one of my friends buys a panel, I try to go test it. What this has made me aware of is, some companies are selling us high end panels that really aren't or charging a high price for last generation technology.

Before I buy a panel, I look at what it is and look at the price. Then compair. Try not to buy something because of who sells it. Buy because they sell what you want at a fair price.

My wife tells me to "JUST F....N BUY IT AND STOP ANALYZING EVERYTHING". yes I do get yelled at for this stuff.

Thank you for the comments. So for example I'm looking at RedArc's 200W panel as we speak and they talk about a "Conversion Efficiency of 20.6%". Does that mean it's capable of giving me 158.8W (200x.794)?

That means it only converts 20.6% of the sunlight. Max as far a I know is 30%. with the average commercial being 24%.
If you can find a 24% panel it would be slightly smaller for the same output.

My findings on the fixed panels is around 80-85% of the rating with the flex a bit lower. yours "should" be 180-190 watts if its fixed and 175-185 if its a flex panel. My 200 watt, flat mounted (not ideal), flex panel nets me about 165 but the sun is not directly overhead.
What ever you get, post up your findings.

I do truly believe the newer panels (higher %) get us a little closer to the rating then the older ones.

Personally I find how they score these solar panels confusing as all heck. Why bother calling a solar panel a 200W when it only produces 150W as an example. Seems shady if you ask me.

I know. I wish specs were more realistic. Even if its on the high side of realistic. If your going to rate it at 200 watt, tell us its 200 watt on a clear day in the Antarctic. Then say the rest of the world can expect 150.