Will bears attack a tent? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Will bears attack a tent?

Kevin and Sara

Those of you that camp in ground tents, will bears attack a tent? We have an upcoming camping trip in what is known to have bears. At least we can have our truck with us, so all food will be stored in there.

Storing food In the truck will greatly minimise the risk of a bear visiting your campsite; however, you must keep in mind that the risk is always there regardless.

This is one of the strongest selling points of rooftop tents.

In this instance I would try to arrange a sleeping setup in the back of the truck just so I can sleep peacefully.

The chance of a bear coming is very low but you always seem to have it in the back of your head

Assuming they don't smell food, bears don't want anything to do with you (for the most part). Not including a momma gear cub hanging out with you, or a bear who's desperate for a meal, they'll stay away.

You never know what animals will do. Some bears may be friendly and other pure killers. It is very rear for a bear to attack a tent but it can happen.

In bear country, I would choose a rooftop ten or just sleep in the car where no animal can harm you.

Having a small gun with you is also worth it just in case.