Which cold air intake you sporting in your 3.5L Tacoma? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Which cold air intake you sporting in your 3.5L Tacoma?

Chris B Offroad

I'm adding an exhaust and would like to change out the air box in this thing. I have pretty much narrowed my search down to the S&B cold air intake, but before pulling the trigger just going to toss this question on here to make sure. If you went with a different intake you mind sharing which?

Are you happy with it?

When you choose one, make sure the air box is sealed with it pulling air from the stock location or at least outside. If its in a spot to force the air, thats even better. If you drive in dusty conditions, choose your air cleaner carefully. If you live in an area with high temps, your better off with the intake tube plastic instead of metal.

Todays vehicles get very little benefit from an intake mod. What you will get is a larger air cleaner and a nicer looking engine bay.

The only modern vehicle I saw get any real benefit from an intake was my TJ. I picked up about 5% on the dino but more then that was gained by pulling cold air from out side instead of hot air from behind the radiator. On a 100 degree day, at low speed, we calculated 15%-20% HP loss due to the air intake. Haven't done any testing on the JK though.

The heat soak is why you don't want a shiny stainless air tube. The choice of air cleaner is so you don't pull silt powder into your engine. It can be so bad it shows up on an oil test report. That was my life lesson on air cleaners.