What sort of problems or common issues does a 2018 Jeep Wrangler have? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

What sort of problems or common issues does a 2018 Jeep Wrangler have?

Cole Barth

My wife has found a good deal on a 2018 Jeep Wrangler. I'm not a Jeep guy so don't know much about these enough to make a educated decision at least.

Can you help me out please?

Thank you!

Cole

Stay away from 07-09. Those would mysteriously burn to the ground. This was a world wide issue. By the time they got to 2018, most people complained about the steering. The issue with the steering is its a solid front axle with a gear box. People expect it to handle like a sports car for some reason. The rest of the common complaints were about fit and finish, some body weld issues and a few electrical issues.
The V6 isn't too bad considering they tried to build a commuter SUV out of a Wrangler. If I was going to get one, it would be a 4dr, V6, Auto Rubicon. To me the 2dr is too small. Three of the guys I wheel with own 4dr Wranglers and its a squeeze for gear. I sat in the back seat of one for a few hours and it wasn't too bad.

Over all, its a Jeep. Fun, a crap load of mods available, poor fuel milage, poor road manners.
In my area, a 40k mile Wrangler is going for 25k-37k with the Rubicon's going for around 40k.

I'll jump in on this as myself and most of my friends have Jeeps.

1. Transmission problems: Some owners have reported issues with the transmission, such as hard shifting and hesitation when shifting gears.
  2. For some, steering will go in the toilet and feel loose if you go big on your wheels.
  3. Engine problems: Some peeps have had issues with the engine, such as rough idling, throttle body related issues and check engine light coming on.
  4. Suspension problems: no surprise with this one, those Fox shocks aren't all that, with the suspension you can expect noises and vibrations when driving.
  5. Electrical problems: Some have had issues with the electrical system, such as issues with the radio, navigation system, oh heck, all over the place with this one.
  6. Windshields are delicate!

But as smritte said, these things are fun and there are a ton of mods out there for them. It's a fun community of owners as well. Just saying.