Tembo Tusk Skottle or ORIS Skottle?? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Tembo Tusk Skottle or ORIS Skottle??

Interesting, didn't know there was other options other than Tembo Tusk. What's funny is I thought Tembo Tusk coined the term Skottle. o_O

Tembo Tusk for me, I like the ability to adjust legs. That way I can move from on table to ground easily. I do wish there was clips on side to hold cooking utensils though.

So Southwest has different metals used, does that matter? Actually I just looked again and seems like this might be just the finish they went with. So, are these basically the same as a Tembo Tusk Skottle?

I'll jump in here. I have a Tembo Tusk skottle and the craftsmanship is nothing short of fantastic. The only problem I wish they would address is to come out with a larger and deeper skottle.

I take back my previous statement, I went looking and there are a number of differences, including cooking surfaces and depth of these. Also the BTU of the stoves used to heat up are a bit different.

I was nearly about to pull the trigger and order a Skottle from Tembo Tusk, but just noticed that there are a few other options out there. This Oris Skottle looks pretty nice and is about the same price. From what I can see the big difference is the legs don't reduce in size. https://skottle.com/collections/oris/products/copy-of-oris-cooking-system-skottle-and-lid-kit

Have any of you owned or tried out a Oris Skottle?
I own the Oris skottle product. It’s heavier than the tembo tusk because it’s more of a cast iron product. I think both products are well made and have pluses and minuses. The term skottle is South African, overlanders/campers in the country made the skottle from discs that are used in farm plowing machinery to cook on. Inventive!

Man I love cooking Bacon, Eggs and Hashbrowns on my Tembo Tusk Skottle sure is yummy ! I definitely would go with the Tembo Tusk!

I've been building out my kit and have watched a few videos showing people cooking on one of these things. But they never show cleaning it! How do you all clean one of these things when you are in the field?

I own the Oris skottle product. It’s heavier than the tembo tusk because it’s more of a cast iron product. I think both products are well made and have pluses and minuses. The term skottle is South African, overlanders/campers in the country made the skottle from discs that are used in farm plowing machinery to cook on. Inventive!

Any problems with the burner going out?