RedArc 200W Monocrystalline solar panel | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

RedArc 200W Monocrystalline solar panel

LONOBEAR

We want something that works well in partial sunlight. Anyone happen to know the efficiency of this solar panel? It says 200W, on a perfect day, how close to that can this panel pull in?

I'll start with, that's a good panel but way over priced for what it is.

To answer your question. its not who makes it as much as the panel design. I had to look this up again because I couldn't remember the spec and wanted to see if anything new had evolved. My data is based on what I found this time. If you research some you may find slightly diffrent.

Here's a clip from the Redarc site. I edited it for content

Polycrystalline solar panels

Polycrystalline cells are typically found in rigid panels. They are less efficient than monocrystalline solar cells and require a larger surface area for the same output.

Monocrystalline solar panels
Mono cells are also found in ridged panels. My Note: I have a folding Mono panel
They are more efficient than polycrystalline cells and can be smaller in size for the same output.
Crystalline panels need to be as perpendicular to the sun as possible to achieve the best performance. Crystalline panels do not perform as well in partial shading (compared to Amorphous cells) and they do gradually lose a small percentage of output as the temperature rises above 25°C.

Amorphous solar panels

Amorphous cells offer higher efficiency than the other two. They are your most efficient cell in the market today, although they do require twice as much surface area for the same power
Amorphous cells perform better in low light conditions compared to even the most efficient monocrystalline panels.

My comment's
The better quality ones will be on the upper end of the spec's and "MAY" isolate the cells. Isolating the cells means if you shade a group of cells, it doesn't kill the whole panels output. Older design and the new cheaper ones normally will not have this feature.
Size for size, the Mono panel will have more output.
The controller will also be a huge factor in this.

I actually have two panels that go with me (3 if you count the small one on my cruiser), a quality Amorphous on my trailer and a lesser folding mono crystalline I can move around when I camp in the forest. Even though the panel on my trailer "works" in partial sun, it looses most of its output quickly.

Here's the fun part. I can also find sites that will disagree with what I posted from Redarc. Most will somewhat agree. I believe the diffrent sites will put data out that makes what they sell look better then the other guys panels. Also some of the sites have outdated data.

I have four diffrent panels and both designs of controller. I played with all of them at home and camping. My conclusion was, bring a panel I can move into the sun if needed and make it powerful enough to charge when it' in full sun.
I need 100 watt minimum. I have 200 watt on the trailer facing up. Renogy has little bubbles over each cell. They claim it focuses side light into the cells to bring up efficiency. This is what I bought it. I cant say if its true or not without having something to compare. Not as ideal as angling it to face the sun. This is why its double my needs.
My folding is 180 watt. Again more than I need. My Cruiser has a 50 watt on the roof so my batteries don't die when its parked. I found that if I tie my Cruiser (in full sun) to my partially shaded trailer, The lower output of the 200 watt and the full sun 50 watt (flat also) almost is enough.

I also have a huge fixed 120 watt mono panel I use to bring on trips. I kind of want to mount that on my cruiser but its longer than my rack is wide.

Most of my time is spent in desert. I wont be effected like someone who camps trees mostly. My setup works well for me but, may lack for someone else.
We'll see if others can chime in with their panels.

Last edited:
It says 200W, on a perfect day, how close to that can this panel pull in?
With my best panel angled toward the sun, I get about 80% what the rating is. Diffrent areas and time of year will slightly change this.

Forgot to add. Rigid panels do better in moderate to high heat then flex panels, regardless of type. Their mounted to a plate that helps pull off heat. The panels need airflow to stay at max output. The hotter, the less output. This is why the flex panel on my trailer has small spacers under it. I don't know if it actually helps but it wont hurt.