Portable small welding machine? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Portable small welding machine?

Setton

Any welders here? Small welding machines on Amazon, are these pretty easy to operate? I’m thinking about wanting to get one and learning how to weld.

Actually can you suggestion one as there are a bunch of these on Amazon. Thank you

If possible, stay away from the 110 machines if you can. I can go into detail if you want or you can trust me. What ever you buy make sure it can be upgraded to argon/co2. Welding is fun and i truly believe every offroader should know how to weld.

If you buy a flu core welder, understand that the weld technique is diffrent from argon/co2 welding. With proper technique flux core will work as well as an argon machine. I prefer the smoother welding of my argon rig.

If you can, get a Miller welder (I have a millermatic). If you want a Lincoln, buy it from a welding shop and not Home depo/lows. Two diffrent machines. If your buying a cheap machine and you like welding, you will end up replacing it quickly and they tend to have a short lifespan.
Don't forget all the stuff you want to have to start making real cool things. I build most of my own toys.
Good luck and jump right on down the deep rabbit hole we like to call fabrication.
OH..we have wifi down here.

My neighbor just picked up a small welding machine and last weekend was messing around with it. I have to say, the thought of creating strong holding welds sounds good. What sort of power does one of those machines require? Is that 110, 220 or can you fire one up with DC?

Your better ones are 220v. If you want a nice one, you want a 220v 50a feed to the plug.
Flux wire welders are good but I dont like the mess. I can do better welds with argon/co2.
If you want one for DC, I have a spool gun build that I posted. If you wait a bit longer, I'm working on a battery pack for it. I want to make it 100% portable in an easy carry case.