opinions on wheel spacers? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

opinions on wheel spacers?

Explorer98

I am looking on getting some more width out of my truck now that it is lifted just to stabilise it in the corners. It will also look far better.

I am thinking of doing this by using wheel spacers because I love my current wheels.

What are the pros and cons?

It is a weird subject. Some people hate them others love them. Personally, I have used them on many vehicles and have never had an issue with the spacer, wheel bearing or suspension.

I thing most of the problems come when you combine the spacers with a heavy tire then you start eating bearings.

For a truck that is an off road toy and never gets to any real remote locations I would use them .

However, if I was building. serious overlander to take me to areas where finding help is nearly impossible I would stay away from them or compensate with a wheel that has a different offset

The work great as a short term solution to issues like tires rubbing on suspension parts and are also good if the only thing you are after is looks and you don't really take the truck off road.

The biggest issue with them is the wear they can make on the wheel bearings because the wheel now sit further outside which creates a leaver that sends more forces to the bearing.

It is all a bit complicated but the gist of it is that your wheel bearing fail quicker which is something you do not want when touring

For a truck that does not get used very hard they are fine. For proper off road use I would avoid them as they can weaken certain parts that can the lead to failure