Jackery solar powered roof top tent from CES | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Jackery solar powered roof top tent from CES

I saw a video on this, it's a prototype and possible release in 2025. Will be cool to see others implimenting this and especially if they can make these panels more efficient. Only downside with this is that if that you need to keep the sun on the back end of that in order to get use from it.

A number of people already do solar panels on clam shell RTT's. My question is, how much solar do you actually need and will you always be able to point your tent in the correct direction?

I have 200 watt's, laying flat on my trailer roof. Its not ideal but its better then angled the wrong direction. Across any given day, I get about 100-120 watts out of it. If I'm in the forest (summer time), I have a 180 watt folding I point at the sun and remote somewhere.

For me, 100 watts is enough to run my fridge and charge my battery quickly. All my gear is either usb or 12v. I use very little power. The biggest power user in my group is still under 300 watts.

80% 0f my camping is desert. 20% of that I have wind. Some times the wind pops up expectantly. I cant leave the "wings" out for fear of the wind damaging them. Just using the one in the center would be what I will be forced to use.

Last edited: