How to prevent someone stealing your trailer? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

How to prevent someone stealing your trailer?

Scott Macon

I've been meaning to ask you all something. When you are at camp and you leave your trailer to run to the store, or you want to go explore. What are you doing to keep your trailer from being stolen? What's stopping someone from hooking up their truck and towing your trailer away?

That's something I need to address also.
My hitch is a custom multi axis so, you cant just hook and go. That wont stop someone from just chaining it to their hitch. Some guys run a chain through the rims.
All of my trailers have a park brake. I may either find a way to lock that and/or run a chain through the rims.
I'm my opinion, locking the hitch would keep them from driving away quickly but not chaining it to their hitch.

Get a Max coupler or some sort of speciality hitch for one, that will narrow down the odds of someone having the correct hitch to take your rig. Then if you want to take this one extra step, run a chain through your rim and attach to your frame. That could make a mess of towing your trailer off.

I have insurance on it for full replacement cost, so I don't worry about it too much. It also has a unique multi-axis coupler on it, so it would be a bit harder for someone to take. Obviously everything can be stolen if they want it bad enough, so that's where the insurance comes in.

I have insurance on it for full replacement cost, so I don't worry about it too much. It also has a unique multi-axis coupler on it, so it would be a bit harder for someone to take. Obviously everything can be stolen if they want it bad enough, so that's where the insurance comes in.
Yep, that's the best you can do. I'm in the same boat with you.