How to Improve Fuel Efficiency in My Jeep? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

How to Improve Fuel Efficiency in My Jeep?

Giovanni

I love my Jeep, but the fuel efficiency leaves something to be desired, especially on long trips. Are there any modifications or driving tips that can help improve gas mileage without compromising too much on performance? I'm open to any advice that can help save a few bucks at the pump!

I hate to say this, but if you have mud tires, considering going to all terrain.

+1 often over looked by many as culprit of poor MPGs. Not only from the addition friction between tire and road, it's the weight of these tires that does it.

Right now my Cruiser has 4.88 on a 33"tire. That's slightly low but helps with the extra weight and pulling my trailer. The RPM on the freeway is still well within my range. 4.88 works with 35's very well, but its almost too high if you add in extra weight and my trailer.

I'm considering going to 37's so that will put me almost out of the 4.88 range. On my transfercase, I can regear the high and low range. I'm defiantly regearing low range and if I regear high, it will give me the equivalent of a 5.13. That will put me optimally into the 37" range.
In my Jeeps its been anything from 4,10-5.38's.

The gearing you choose needs to match your tire size and added weight.
this chart gives some examples. I tend to go with slightly lower gears due to the added weight of my vehicles. With these charts, you need to know what rpm range your vehicle was designed to run at. I tend to go slightly lower in my gears due to all the added weight.

Get your self a Tazer and that will give you more control over your throttle response, which includes an eco mode