How stable 4x4 Colorado Nimbus hardshell tent in high winds? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

How stable 4x4 Colorado Nimbus hardshell tent in high winds?

WandereR

We were going to buy another clamshell style tent and just stumbled onto this one. I like that it steps up in the back a little giving a little more head room, and as my wife pointed out, doesn't force you to sleep with your head at the back. But we have concerns about how this would fair in heavier winds?

Hey there guys thanks for asking, figured id let you know max wind is around 40MPH. Was camping in 30MPH winds last weekend and slept like a dream, of course we are biased.

The 600D Oxford Fabric canvas material is double the density of most other tents, providing great wind resistance, and amazing insulation.

Cheers,

Blaine
4x4 Colorado

OK, I'll bite. We've been looking at the Darche Ridgeback, we like the size, or shall I saw the added space for being a clamshell, how does your space compare?

Looks to me you get a larger base space and more immediate usable living space. Darche Ridgeback, is useful space if you are kneeling up, but this other tent from 4x4 people seems to have usable when you are laying down. Unless I'm missing something.

Looks to me you get a larger base space and more immediate usable living space. Darche Ridgeback, is useful space if you are kneeling up, but this other tent from 4x4 people seems to have usable when you are laying down. Unless I'm missing something.

Ohhhhhh, I see what you mean. While I'm here, would you happen to know if there is way to insulate tents like these? Or how are you all doing cold weather camping trips?

OK, I'll bite. We've been looking at the Darche Ridgeback, we like the size, or shall I saw the added space for being a clamshell, how does your space compare?

Hey there our tent makes a lot more sense than any other clamshell currently on the market.

The Darche one you posted is nice, however the extra space near the rainfly doesn't make a whole lot of functional sense to me personally.

Which has what led to the design of the Nimbus, gone are the days that you are forced to lay your head at the tail end and look at the tent ceiling. With the added headroom at the front of the tent, you can lay your head on that side and enjoy the beautiful panoramic view of nature as you should in any rooftop tent.

With the added space you can also fit the tents ladder, sleeping bag, and 2 compressable pillows inside the closed tent.

Again we are biased, but we think this is the best tent out there, from quality to features to price point.

Cheers,

Blaine
4x4 Colorado

Ohhhhhh, I see what you mean. While I'm here, would you happen to know if there is way to insulate tents like these? Or how are you all doing cold weather camping trips?
Our tents are actually designed with a 600D Oxford Fabric canvas material. Most manufacturers are using 320. What this means is we use a material that is twice the density, resulting in better wind resistance, better insulation, and a longer lasting, higher quality product.

Cheers.