How long water needs to be boiled to purify? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

How long water needs to be boiled to purify?

Sparky

When you are boiling water from a river or lake to drink, how long should it be boiled to kill off anything that might mess you up?

Boiling water from a river or lake is a smart move to make sure it's safe to drink. You'll want to keep that water rolling in a boil for about 1 minute to kill off any nasty bacteria or pathogens. If you're at a higher altitude, say above 6,500 feet (about 2,000 meters), it's a good idea to extend that boil time to about 3 minutes, just because water boils at a lower temperature up there.

I was going to say 5 minutes. But I guess if you have these boiling at 3, go for it. Personally, I would cook the heck out of the water, why risk it?

Man, I would have to really ponder drinking that water. At least would boil the @#$# out of it first!

Clear water doesn't mean clean water. What he did was remove the nasty parasites and disease. One of the chemicals he used caused the heavier material to drop to the bottom. The others were to kill living things. I would still filter the hell out of that water after I boil it. My question is, what side effects come from the chemicals your putting in the water?
I would rather filter it and most likely stay away from "Poop Water". If that actually is sewage there's chemicals in that water you cant purify doing what he did.
Calling it "Poop water" is stupid, even more so if it actually is.

I've seen things like this before and its not something I would use.