How do tent and trailer manufactures rate tent occupancy? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

How do tent and trailer manufactures rate tent occupancy?

Zoe

So here is a interesting question. We have been shopping around for a new trailer, and also a new tent to put on top of this new trailer. What is interesting is how the sizes of these range from tent to tent, and trailer to trailer. When a tent or trailer says 4 person for example. Is there a general rule of thumb on the size of person? Example: 140lb person who is 5'5"? Or do they just pull these numbers out of their back sides? We have looked at some and there is no way you could fit 4 people inside. And we aren't heavy people, I'm 127lbs and my other half is just over 180lbs. Even with just us two in something, we have noticed some have a lot more room then others. Yet all have a rating for 4 people.

So how does this work?

I wonder the same. Go to a mattress store and lay down on a twin, then a double and then a queen. Figure out what your minimum comfy size is and look at dimensions. There's your base line.
My RTT was suppose to fit 2 adults and two kids. The dimensions were slightly narrower than a double bed. That worked perfectly for two of us. Two kids on that, no chance.
When I built my trailer I modeled the bed around a queen size. This gives plenty of room to sleep and throw on some cloths before going out. Its hard enough to get dressed laying down. Try doing it squished against someone.
Also, add in a bit of room for a small amount of gear. Cloths, lights....

100%. I don't think there is any set universal rule that all the manufactures follow. What annoys me is when they don't give firm measurements, but human body silhouettes to illustrate people. But the don't mention the height and weight of that 'person'.

Whats funny is I always thought they just tossed a couple people or more into the space to visually see if they fit!