Hood mounted solar panel | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Hood mounted solar panel

+1 Cascadia, keep in mind if you have a Rubicon you will have to get the smaller panels because you have the mounts obstructing your hood space.

And less once the hood heats up. Their good for keeping the battery topped off when it sits. My problem is, I needed at least a 50 watt for mine and a 100 watt if i wanted to power the fridge.
I do like the way they fit and I wouldn't have had to mount a panel on my roof rack

EDIT: I hate you guy's. When they first came out, the best I could do was 50 watt. This made me search and i found a 100 watt that will fit my hood.
I already have too many unfinished projects.
Sigh

Last edited:
And less once the hood heats up. Their good for keeping the battery topped off when it sits. My problem is, I needed at least a 50 watt for mine and a 100 watt if i wanted to power the fridge.
I do like the way they fit and I wouldn't have had to mount a panel on my roof rack

EDIT: I hate you guy's. When they first came out, the best I could do was 50 watt. This made me search and i found a 100 watt that will fit my hood.
I already have too many unfinished projects.
Sigh

Why not put larger panel on the roof of your rig for more power?

I have a standard 100 watt already on my Cruiser rack but was thinking of a thin one for my Tacoma. That one wont have a rack so, hood/roof was what I was thinking.
What this thread did was made me look into thin film panels again. The premade ones like the OP was asking about, were not worth it when they were low output. Now the company has better ones. Searching, I found generic in a few sizes I may be able to work with.
In the past, (aside from this company) the thin film was only sold in long narrow strips. Looking into it again, I found rectangles that may work.