Getting dirt out from tent floors? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Getting dirt out from tent floors?

My tents were small enough where I would pick it up and shake the dirt out of the entrance.

Ah, the age-old issue of dirt in the tent, right? I've been there more times than I'd like to admit. So, if your tent has a floor and you're dealing with the pesky dirt and debris that inevitably get tracked in, here are a few tips I've found helpful:

1. Prevention is Key: Before setting up your tent, choose a location that's free of loose dirt or debris. Clear the area to ensure you're starting off on the right foot.
  2. Welcome Mat: Just like at home, place a small mat or rug at the entrance of your tent. It'll catch a significant amount of dirt off shoes or feet before entering.
  3. Shoes Off: Make it a rule to leave shoes outside or in a designated shoe bag. You can even keep a pair of "tent only" socks or slippers to make sure you're not dragging dirt in with your footwear.
  4. Handheld Broom: Carry a compact handheld broom and dustpan. I swear by this! Every evening or morning, give the tent floor a quick sweep. It takes only a couple of minutes and makes a world of difference.
  5. Shake It Off: On pack-up day, after removing all your gear, grab the tent by the corners and give it a good shake out. It'll help dislodge any remaining dirt.
  6. Pack a Groundsheet or Tarp: Using a groundsheet or tarp beneath your tent can also reduce the amount of dirt that makes its way inside. It's an extra layer between you and the ground, and it's easier to shake out a tarp than the entire tent.
Remember, camping is all about getting a bit closer to nature, so a little dirt is just part of the experience. But with these tips, hopefully, you can keep that 'little dirt' to a minimum. 😉 Happy camping! 🌲🔥

Roger that, thanks for the ideas gang! I just ordered a new mat that will go before the door. Let's see if this works!