Does portable batteries need to be completely discharged ever? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Does portable batteries need to be completely discharged ever?

I took this from Northeast battery.

Manage the Discharge

Recharge your batteries before they are completely dead. Not letting it die completely will extend the battery lifespan.

If you are preparing to store your batteries for a period of time, make sure you do so at half charge. Unlike other types of batteries that need to be recharged throughout their storage time, lithium batteries do better at 40%-50% DOD (depth of discharge).

Pro-Tip: After every 30 charges, allow your lithium based battery to completely discharge before recharging. This helps to avoid a condition called digital memory. Digital memory can mess with the accuracy of the power gauge of the device you’re using. By allowing it to discharge completely you will allow the power gauge to reset.

Some companies disagree with discharging them completely to avoid digital memory. They claim it doesn't exists in lithium's. I do know nickel metal hydride has an issue with this.

What everyone does agree with is, depending on which lithium battery type, they all have a limited number of cycles (full discharge). An example would be a battery rated at 300 cycles will go 600 cycles if not brought below 50%. They also agree about long term storage, you want them around 50%, not fully charged.
They also say, if left at zero for a long time, you can kill them. Not sure how much time "long time" is though.

Good post from smritte! I've always thought you run it down, you charge it. These portable batteries (the good ones) don't have any sort of memory. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see if different.

So wait, is it OK to keep your portable batteries plugged in while home? I have been doing this so they are completely charged when I head out.

I thought it said it up there in the info I copied but its not.

Keeping them at a 100% is either good or bad depending on who you ask. They all agree that long time storage should be 50%-80%. I have a good smart charger for my trailer. Its plugged in all the time. I don't want to risk it being low when I leave on a trip and not be 100% when I arrive at camp. So far my lithium battery's are still great at a year old.

Most of my gear is usb charged. Its common for me to get to camp and have to charge something before it works. Those things dont stay plugged in. My lights get kept at 100% but are unplugged when their done charging.

When were talking about a Jackery or equivalent, I would contact them and charge by their instructions. That would be an expensive learning curve.

For mine, I just plug in for a few days and set reminder to plug it back in a couple weeks later if I know I'm going to be not using it. I don't keep mine plugged in more than a day. That's just me.