Car was sitting with wheels under water for 20 minutes. Will I have water in my axles? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Car was sitting with wheels under water for 20 minutes. Will I have water in my axles?

Sam Mills

So the other day I god stuck in some mud and was sitting there for about 20 minutes. All wheels where under water and I am wondering whether water has managed to get in the axles. Is there any way to check without draining the fluid?

As long as you have diff breathers in the engine bay and no leaks from the axles no water should be able to enter the axles. A good way to check though is to remove the filler plug from the diffs. If there is oil coming out at a fast rate (some drips coming out is normal but not a lot) the water has entered the diff which makes the oil spill out of the filler plug when opened

I had the exact same thing happen with my Land Rover and the wheel bearings had a lot of water in them. the axles just a little. It depends on your truck and how old or new it is.

As we all know, Rovers don't have the best sealing properties so I expected it to have water in it. However, with other vehicles you may be able to get away with it.