Campervan resale value?? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Campervan resale value??

LONOBEAR

Many of you may know that we jumped into camping head first during Covid. Well now we love it and it's a regular part of our lives and getting out and finding peace. We would like to have solid walls, but I thought these sort of vans were out of our reach, however in March I have a little bit of cash coming my way that would make a very handsome deposit now that i'm seeing what these cost.

What I want to know is if these sort of campervans retain value or go the other direction?

Jump on Craigslist and see for your area. We had been looking at the used market around here and nearly gave up on finding 'the deal' and believe we are going to just buy new. At least the ones around here, when they do go on the market, they are selling a premium. Not worth it to buy used to save a few bucks only.

Heres a few used ones within 500 miles of me. Ive been looking at 4x4 vans for a few months, The low profile 4x4 vans wont work fore me due to the areas I drive. That leaves the sprinter style out for me. As Vincent said, not alot gained by used unless your lucky. Stripped vans are running about 10-20k less with you needing to put 10k+ to outfit them (plus labor).

Sprinter
2 vehicles I want something like the tan van in the ad.
Old Van This one would be way too much work for me. I would end up dropping 20k into it before I was happy and probably a couple years of work.
Another old van This is closer to what I want with most being rebuilt. The color would have to go. Still need probably 10k before I'm happy.

I'm most likely looking at the Quigley conversions or the other one I cant remember the name of. It ends up being only slightly more for a new one and way less work.

Heres a few used ones within 500 miles of me. Ive been looking at 4x4 vans for a few months, The low profile 4x4 vans wont work fore me due to the areas I drive. That leaves the sprinter style out for me. As Vincent said, not alot gained by used unless your lucky. Stripped vans are running about 10-20k less with you needing to put 10k+ to outfit them (plus labor).

Sprinter
2 vehicles I want something like the tan van in the ad.
Old Van This one would be way too much work for me. I would end up dropping 20k into it before I was happy and probably a couple years of work.
Another old van This is closer to what I want with most being rebuilt. The color would have to go. Still need probably 10k before I'm happy.

I'm most likely looking at the Quigley conversions or the other one I cant remember the name of. It ends up being only slightly more for a new one and way less work.
Can't you lift a Sprinter van?

Can't you lift a Sprinter van?
Not as much as i would need. At least easily. The independent suspension is the issue. Lifting it as much as I would need would throw the steering and suspension geometry too far out for my liking.

Not as much as i would need. At least easily. The independent suspension is the issue. Lifting it as much as I would need would throw the steering and suspension geometry too far out for my liking.

100% agree. With these sort of vans you just have to strategically plan where you are going and really be conscience of those lines you drive! The suspensions do their job and while you don't have the clearance you would in other types of off-road vehicles, they are somewhat forgiving.

Many of you may know that we jumped into camping head first during Covid. Well now we love it and it's a regular part of our lives and getting out and finding peace. We would like to have solid walls, but I thought these sort of vans were out of our reach, however in March I have a little bit of cash coming my way that would make a very handsome deposit now that i'm seeing what these cost.

What I want to know is if these sort of campervans retain value or go the other direction?

You need to buy from a good and reputable builder, that will have a large impact on resale. If you are going custom, think about if others would want what you doing. Don’t go ‘Pimp my Ride‘ and add a popcorn machine on the front dash. Chances are not many will vib with your tastes.

We have been shopping around for a few months now and I will say this, from what we can see, Mercedes holds its value the most.

Jump on Craigslist and see for your area. We had been looking at the used market around here and nearly gave up on finding 'the deal' and believe we are going to just buy new. At least the ones around here, when they do go on the market, they are selling a premium. Not worth it to buy used to save a few bucks only.

Watch out there are tons of scams and BS on Craigslist. My dad was shopping for a van and got tied up with someone selling a van with a salvaged title, who didn't disclose this. A mechanic my dad was using informed him that this was something they had seen before with people selling on Craigslist. Honestly I wouldn't buy used unless you getting from manufacture. These vans aren't cheap, a lot of money potentially out the window if you make a bad decision.