BadAss tents 1" mattress | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

BadAss tents 1" mattress

Fast Lane

Well this is a rather eye opening experience. Last year during the pandemic I found a smoking deal on a 94 Land Rover that was too good to pass up. Well I've been wanting to get another roof top tent and have mounted directly on this truck. I found one on eBay from "Bad Ass Tents" and frankly speaking the deal was to ridiculous to pass up. I saw the low price and didn't even research the tent. Letting the notion of a great deal drive me though this purchase. Well the tent came in and, well, this thing is CHEAP. It has a 1" mattress! 1 INCH. This thing is not comfortable even in the remote sense.

That's it for me. No questions, just sharing my story so others don't make the same mistake.

Oh damn, well that is a big steamy pile of ...., well hopefully that "ridiculous' deal you got was low enough to make this a 'no sting' on the pocket book. Have you tried putting some additional memory foam under the existing mattress?

Well I should have known something was up, the price WAS next to nothing. I think the guy just wanted to have a clear head and sold it for peanuts, knowing what this was. But to answer your question, no I haven't tried anything like that. Honestly I'm not even sure this thing will close with another layer of mattress in this thing.

Only way you don't feel EVERYTHING below that mat, is for it to be extremely dense, which would mean it's very firm. I can't imagine that being comfortable at all.

LOL, no way. Sorry, if I'm going to spend that kind of $$, I want something that is comfortable.

Colors are nice on these tents, but they look kind of cheap. Oh, and that 1” mattress? Yeah, would have to have a hard pass on that. Comfortable sleep is WAY more important than saving a few bucks. Perhaps if I was a Buddhist Monk and used to sleeping on concrete, but I’m not there, so I want something with some comfort to it.

Well the only way this could work and still manage to be comfortable is if the base of the tent is canvas or something that is has some flex. Then that 1" isn't going to be as bad.

I used the Exped mega mat in my RTT. best thing ever. Self inflating, good insulator and squishes down for folding the tent. There's a few others out there but when I got mine, there wasn't much to choose from in a queen sized mattress. If your tent is a bit narrower, there's a few companies making them in full size.
One of my buddies used a (4 inch?) memory foam topper on his thin rtt mattress. For me it felt too soft but he likes it.

The more I'm thinking about this, whether it had a 1" or 3" mattress, I'm always using my Expeed mattress, which I'm near certain would make no difference. So I guess what this has for mattress really wouldn't make a difference with my comfort considering I'm always using something else.