Alternator upgrade for my Toyota | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Alternator upgrade for my Toyota

Mike Clark

If I wanted to replace my stock alternator with something that is high output, do I need to change anything else in my electrical system? Or will the vehicle take the increase power and put it to use without damaging anything?

What year, model and engine size. I'll look up what you have at work. My 19 Tacoma has a 150 amp, Cruiser had an 86 amp and now has a 250 Amp.

"If" you go to something higher output.
1. Make sure its a "Hairpin" design. That's factory in my Tacoma
2. The output lead will need to be bigger.
3. Where the battery and the alternator attach needs to be inspected for size.

I have a 2020 toyota tundra with 5.7L. Moving to that 250 Amp did you have to change anything? BTW does running larger alternator use more of the engine HP?

Thank you in advance.

I show a 130 amp and a 150 amp with towing package. Factory Hairpin design.
Going to the 250 amp (again) make sure its the hairpin design. Most of the high output guys run that but you never know.
Output wire will be a 2 gauge if you can, 4 gauge will work if its short.
As to the horse power question, the answer is yes and no.
"If" you draw 100 amps that's roughly 1.75 hp. If you have a 100 amp alternator or a 200 amp, its the same. hp is hp. But now you add in more stuff and you pull 200 amp. The hp will be 3.5.
When you buy your alternator you need to make sure its a direct bolt in. While typing this, I remembered my new Cruiser alternator is from a Tundra.

I'll let you in on a secret. ALL of the alternator builders buy from the same place. The only difference is some do a custom billet case and anodize everything and others just put the windings in the Tundra case. What that means is you can spend $600 plus at DC power or Mechman. Or you can spend $350 ish at Tucson or JS alternators and get the exact same thing.
Price shop.