2018 TRD Pro alternator upgrade options? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

2018 TRD Pro alternator upgrade options?

OffGrid

Morning gang, today I'm searching around for an upgraded alternator for my 2018 TRD Pro. Ideally something that requires no modifications and works with stock brackets. Plug and play you can say. Can you suggest anything?

Thank you in advance!

Mike

Search out "hairpin" alternators. An issue with high output alternators is , the higher the output the higher they start making power. You could go to a 250 amp output just to find it makes 250amp @5000 rpm and nothing until 1200 rpm when your vehicle idles around 700. The way around this is is either a much larger case or going to a hairpin winding design.
I'm running a 250 amp hairpin in my 96 cruiser. It puts out a little over 100 amp @ idle and 265 @2000 rpm.

The question is, why do you need the extra power?
I believe your truck comes with a 130 amp (my 19 Tacoma does). For me, its due to the stock alternator in my Cruiser is 80 amp@ ~1800 rpm. My over all power draw "can" run as high as 100 amp and as high as 180 with my trailer. Most of my driving is done at low speed.