Justifying the expense for a rooftop tent? | 4WDTalk - Overlanding and offroad Forum
Optimized-contourmapping

Justifying the expense for a rooftop tent?

Cheyenne

I see the appeal of rooftop tents (RTTs) for their easy setup, enhanced safety from animals, and additional privacy. Plus, they have a unique aesthetic or some do rather. However, the costs can be steep, both for the tent and the necessary rack. Every time you head out for supplies or stay in one location for a few days, you face the hassle of dismantling and later reassembling the tent. I guess technically it's not a dismantle, but you need to put things away. It's also a chore to remove and store the setup for everyday city driving. If you’re constantly changing campsites in the wild, the convenience of an RTT might justify the cost. Alternatively, a double-sized cot tent with an inflatable mattress could be a more economical choice at around $400-600+. It provides comfort without the hefty price tag of $3-4K for an RTT, especially if you're not using it frequently. Am I missing something? Trying to understand the justification others have with these?

I would say you hit most of the points.

Camp teardown takes longer but only by 20-30 min's. Depending on the height of the vehicle, it can de difficult to pack without help.

I would say you hit most of the points.

Camp teardown takes longer but only by 20-30 min's. Depending on the height of the vehicle, it can de difficult to pack without help.

So for you, you are putting the greatest value on time?

Not really. There's several RTT's in my group and I'm not in a hurry normally. Some people have commented having to pack them up to go to town just to have to redeploy them again at camp.

I had mine for about 8 years. I replaced the cover once due to zipper failure. If you take care of it that's the only fail point. I sold mine because I went with a hard side trailer.
Want you want to do is look carefully at where you go camping. The draw back for me was a few times out of the year I had to deal with wind. My RTT held up to 50mph gusts but anything over a breeze meant no sleep. This would have been the same in a ground tent. Right now I'm planning a 2 week trip. My trailer has to stay home and I don't want to set up a RTT. I'm buying an OZ tent.

Look carefully at your choices. I loved mine and would still have it if it wasn't for wind. Everything has its positive points and drawbacks.

For me, it's deployment time and take down that is the big win. Convenience is another big factor as well.